FCS Weekly Newsletter – July 20, 2020
Summer Without Salmonella
Hello Parents! Are you aware that illnesses from Salmonella spike in the summer? And that the overwhelming majority of hospitalizations from Salmonellosis occur in children under 5 years of age? Be ready this summer to TAKE ACTION and reduce the risk of infection in your family
Get ready for a SUMMER WITHOUT SALMONELLA with these Quick Tips!
Summer Without Salmonella Flyer >>
Food Safety On The Move
Hitting the road for a picnic or cookout? Cases of food poisoning peak in the summer months, so if you’re on the move with food, remember these food safety tips! For more information, visit the Partnership for Food Safety Education website >>
Stay Safe at the Pool/Beach
Recipe – Summer Salad with Watermelon, Feta, and Olive Oil
This summer salad is refreshing and light. No cooking required! You’ll love the sweet combination of sweet watermelon with salty feta and fresh herbs.
- 12 cups cubed seedless watermelon, chilled
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 limes, juiced
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ cups crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- Place the watermelon in a colander to drain excess liquid.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, fresh lime juice, salt, and black pepper.
- Place the watermelon in a large salad bowl. Pour dressing over the watermelon and toss gently to coat.
- Pour the crumbled feta into the salad bowl, and stir gently to integrate the cheese into the salad.
- Sprinkle the salad with mint leaves, and then serve.