Hurricane Dorian Information – Food and Water Safety
The Department of Health and Human Services is working to have D-SNAP available quickly if a presidential individual assistance declaration is made.
- Medicaid recipients may have prescriptions refilled early
- Medication assisted treatment is available.
- Shelter for medically fragile patients is open.
- Behavioral health services are available.
- Shelters are accessible and supportive of those with behavioral illnesses or intellectual and developmental disabilities.
In the Works
The Department is in the process of:
- Seeking authorization to provide early refills of medications needed by HIV patients.
- Developing a waiver to offer Disaster SNAP benefits if a presidential individual assistance declaration of a disaster is declared. Waivers are drafted and are ready for storm specific data which will expedite North Carolina’s submission for a Disaster SNAP program, allowing for timely distribution of food assistance.
- Taking the necessary steps to ensure pregnant women, infants and young children have access to WIC benefits.
- Ensuring shelters have access to live-saving Naloxone in the event of opioid misuse.
- Securing assistive technology devices and equipment to help individuals who are displaced due to the storm or who have devices or equipment that is destroyed or lost.
Food and Water Safety Tips